Lund’s premier Sea Kayak Rental Outfitter
Our waterfront kayak rental shop and launch site is strategically positioned in a private bay within the Lund Harbor. Lund is the gateway for accessing the waters of the Copeland Island and Desolation Sound Provincial Marine Parks and beyond.
Lund is the ideal staging point for day and overnight adventures by kayak to:
- Desolation Sound Provincial Marine Park
- Copeland Islands Provincial Marine Park
- Savary Island
- Cortes Island
- Redonda Islands
- Dscovery Islands
- Toba Inlet
Amenities and Services at our Launch Site
- Parking: secure affordable parking; additional fees apply
- Potable Water
- Only local authorized Marine chart dealer, guide books and other maps/ reference materials
- Rental of Camping equipment
- Drive-up waterfront staging areas
- Visa, Mastercard and Debit payment options
- Open 7-days a week during summer months
What Equipment is Included with each Sea Kayak Rental?
- Scotty Bilge pump
- Primary paddle
- Spare paddle
- Paddle float
- Spray deck
- 55 foot throw rope
- Waterproof map (to be returned with boat at end of rental)
- Dry bags of assorted sizes are available for rent (for an additional cost)
What to Bring?
Sea Kayaks have an incredible amount of space, as long as you remember to pack light! Kayak camping is a lot like other activities where you are journeying from place to place. Think about layering your clothing and having one set of clothes for paddling in, and another for lounging at camp or exploring on land. Sea Kayaker Magazine came up with this list below. Have questions? Please let us know.
Other gear you may also want to consider:
- VHF/weather radio
- marine chart (Terracentric is a chart dealer)
- tides and currents table
- spare clothes in a dry bag
- extra food and water
- cell phone (in a waterproofed bag)
Maps and Guide Books
In our store, we stock a wide range of area maps, charts and guide books. Stop in or call ahead and we’ll gladly recommend the right maps, marine charts or guide books that will compliment your trip ensuring the best experience.
Many areas, including Desolation Sound, have excellent cell phone service. Generally there is decent cell coverage on the water around Lund and Desolation Sound, though there are certain areas where you will be without. Renters are encouraged to call in to discuss changes in plans and weather considerations should that be needed. A phone is also a convenient way to check updated shellfish closures and weather forecasts.
Know before you go! Guests can purchase a tide guide in our office for $2.00 (Cash only, exact change only). Proceeds from sales of tide guides go to the Powell River Salmon Society.
We can also print out the weekly tide guide for $1.00 which will be donated to the Powell River Salmon Society.
You can also print out the guide and bring it with you using the link below.
Save this page on your cell phone to keep up to date on current marine weather forecasts for the region once you are underway. WEATHER GUIDE
Why Rent From Terracentric?
Terracentric is committed to providing the very best equipment, gear and guest support for each of our kayak rentals. Not just any old outfitter, we pride ourselves in spending the extra time with our guests to ensure the safest and most enjoyable paddling experience. Since 2001, our focus has been on ensuring that our guests receive an all round positive paddling experience.
Some TCA rental advantages!
- Full service passenger and kayak delivery service to Desolation Sound, Discovery Islands and Toba Inlet and wherever else we can access by boat or truck/trailer (subject to availability).
- Convenient full service waterfront launch location in the harbour. Quiet and tranquil, our private staging area is ideal for launching and returning from your trip.
- Friendly, knowledgeable on-site staff able to assist and support you launching and returning form your excursion.
- Instructors and trip planners available to support you to get the most from your wilderness kayak adventure, willing to spend the time it takes to help you plan your trip get you safely underway. Consultation fees may apply.
- On site parking for multi-day renters and potable drinking water filling station.
- High quality kayaks from: Seaward, Nimbus, Current Designs, and top of the line safety gear including kayaking PFD, lightweight carbon paddles, neoprene and nylon spray decks.
- Large selection of camping gear rentals, guidebooks and area maps. Terracentric is Lund’s only licensed Marine Chart dealer.
How to Reserve a Kayak?
Kayaks can be reserved upon receipt of full payment of rental amount by Visa or Mastercard. At this time, we are not accepting drop-in or same-day rentals, and reservations must be made at least one day in advance. Kayak Rentals are by appointment only.
Please call us toll-free or email us and one of our team will be glad to get you set up properly for your next adventure.
With your safety in mind, here are some questions our team may ask you:
- What kind of boat are you looking for?
- What are the dates when you will be launching and returning?
- Where do you want to go?
- The approximate heights and weights of each person in your group?
- What is your experience paddling a kayak in an ocean environment?
When you arrive at our office or at our launch site, all renters will be required to sign a rental agreement and liability release form. We’ll also have you file a float plan telling us where you are headed and your estimated time of return. All paddlers must participate in a 30-minute orientation and safety briefing with a staff member at our launch site after completing paperwork.
Anyone 18 and under will be required to have a parent or guardian sign on their behalf. Sorry, we do not rent to unaccompanied minors. We do not rent to solo paddlers where the person is travelling alone unless the renter is able to demonstrate extensive solo sea kayaking experience.
How To Find Our Private Launch Site in Lund Harbour?
Single-day rentals will check in at our office first for payment and paperwork. Once that is all complete, you will be directed by our staff on how to proceed on foot (5 minute walk) or by car (3 minute drive) to our quiet launch site. Renters going on overnight trips will be given driving directions to our launch site, found in the confirmation letter.
A Question for renters: What Does "Experienced" Mean?
Terracentric is committed to supporting you to enjoy the fantastic biodiversity and scenery of the area in a safe and conscientious manner. Known for warm and protected waters, the Desolation Sound region of the northern Sunshine Coast has emerged as a world-class paddling destination, and for good reason.
Unfortunately, many people perceive that sea kayaking, as an activity, is a fairly low risk activity, failing to consider properly all the risks when they set out. Drowning is after all the third leading cause of unintentional death among Canadians according to the National LifeSaving Society of Canada. Most kayaking misadventures happen on day trips when people are unprepared or under skilled for the ever changing conditions on the ocean.
At Terracentric, we are first and foremost outdoor educators. In our classes we teach students the concept of ‘expecting the unexpected’.
In order to rent from Terracentric we will ask you some pretty detailed questions regarding the level of your experience. This is to protect both you, your group as well as ourselves. We want you to have fun AND be safe while doing so.
Experience is recommended wherever you go sea kayaking without a guide or experienced leader. Anyone renting a sea kayak, whether for a few hours or several days, should have experience.
How to tell if you are experienced?
Experience does not mean:
- You hopped into your friends kayak for 20 minutes at a lake a few summers back
- You rented a sit-on-top kayak at a resort in Hawaii sometime.
- You kinda, sorta know how to re-enter if capsized and a while back watched a video!
Someone with Experience:
- Has had a formal lesson by a qualified instructor sometime not so long ago.
- Understands their limitations. You should always be paddling in conditions less than what you think you can handle, so you have reserve energy and skill when things change.
- Knows how to perform both self and assisted rescues and has practiced within the last two years.
- Experience does mean you know some basic navigational techniques on the ocean and can follow a marine chart.
- Experience does mean you know the dangers and power of the ocean - it's currents, tides, rips and affects of weather (and much, much more).
Our questions aim to support you to get the most from your kayak adventure! Our goal is to not scare you off sea kayaking. Our goal is to do all we can to promote a safe trip that allows you to thoroughly enjoy the incredible sport of sea kayaking.
If you do not have experience, or have not taken a lesson, please feel free to call us to discuss whether or not it is wise to rent a kayak. We are glad to work with all renters (experienced or inexperienced) to ensure a safe, enjoyable sea kayaking experience.
Lessons are great fun and not only provide critical safety information but also provide instruction on correct (energy saving) paddling techniques. The information will expand you kayaking experience and make lifelong paddling that much more worthwhile and enjoyable. Many renters choose to take a lesson with one of our Paddle Canada qualified instructors prior to their kayak trips. Please go to our lessons page for more information.
Depending on your previous experience, our knowledgeable and friendly staff will cover some basic information with you at our launch site before you depart. Topics may include:
- Anatomy and parts, pieces and packing of the kayaks
- Proper launching and landing techniques to avoid damaging the kayak
- The equipment we provide and how to use it
- Assisted rescue
- Paddling technique
- Tides and currents
- Weather concerns
For those needing (and we will know!) a full introduction to the above topics, charges may apply as a great deal of time is needed to properly introduce the information. Or, take a lesson, it's worth it!
Our kayak rental process includes two steps. First the completion of paperwork followed by a mandatory 20 - 30-minute orientation and safety briefing at our launch site. This time is a part of your kayak rental period and is to ensure the proper use of our equipment and your safety and enjoyment while kayaking. Late arrivals may result in a delay of available launch times, as we are currently staggering rental group arrivals. If guests need more time to prepare for their trip (organizing/packing gear, getting supplies/food, filling water bottles), we ask this be done after the rental process is complete so that we may maintain our regular schedule.